Saturday, November 12, 2011

Erratic


er·rat·ic/iˈratik/


Adjective:
Not even or regular in pattern or movement; unpredictable.
Noun:
A rock or boulder that differs from the surrounding rock and is believed to have been brought from a distance by glacial action.

The title of this blog claims post-graduate adventures and missadventures of a young geologist. Well, this entry is to serve that claim. Here's a little story... After graduating from undergrad in California, I moved to a small town in Oregon for a job. A great job with nice co-workers and flexibility. For the most part, I've enjoyed my time in the workplace, but I have felt a massive void. I missed having other geologists around. When people hear you're a geologist, you commonly get "rock, eh? What about 'em?" or "Where's the gold then..." and so fourth and so on. I have come to love being a geologist and thinking about the world around me. I love delving into the history of an outcrop, looking out a plane window, and making visualizations of what the world around me was through geologic time. It's truly a joy that I share with so many other geologists. When I moved to Oregon, I was so happy to find the geoblogosphere. I found my peers. I have started into the chatter on twitter and (somewhat) on this blog.



Sometimes, we think of life as being very linear, with forks in the road and road blocks. Other times, life seems more like a circle, bringing us back to the idea, people and places we've been before. I am coming to find out that as much as I want to put a shape to the time I spend, the choices I make, there is none. With several turbulent personal occurrences, re-locations, losses, gains in the last few years, I've come to a point where I've made some tough but exciting choices. I decided to return to my homeland (San Diego) and apply to graduate school (not necessarily in San Diego). I am taking some time off to live by my whims, fly by the seat of my pants and just see what I can do with some free time. I have a big list of ideas, challenges, pursuits and I am thoroughly stoked.

So, with that, I will (presumably) have more time to update, once grad applications are in. SO, there's going to be some changes to this blog in the next few months. I will be moving my post-graduate adventures to Southern California. Oh yes, there will be posts on granite and faults. you will see...







1 comment:

  1. Sounds exciting. I did my Ph.D. fieldwork out in California, but never got to visit the area south of LA, so I, for one, am very much looking forward to some PRB granite and faults. And I'm certainly looking forward to more frequent blog posts, whatever the geology.

    ReplyDelete